I rode to campus throughout my undergrad, but biking to work is viewed differently. Some people think I'm crazy (I surely give them enough other reasons), but here's how I look at it:
- Gas is expensive. I save around 2-2.50 each day I ride in gas.
- Insurance is expensive. Since I'm driving the car less than the ~7000/year that I had been averaging, I get a break on the premium with a restricted use rating. That saves a few hundred a year.
- Free exercise that fits into my schedule nicely. If I were to go to the gym and work out for an hour, it'd take me a half an hour to get down there and back, and all that junk. This way, it just means I get up 10 minutes earlier and get home 10 minutes later.
- Gas funds terrorism, or something. Gas companies must be terrorists with the interest rates on those gas cards at any rate.
- One less trip probably saves the earth. At least it might keep Al Gore from telling another Inconvenient Lie or something.